How stinkin' cute are these?!? I had a Back to School picnic to go to and brought these. I've made the full size version in the past but figured I could get people to eat 2 or 3 minis (and I was right!).
I apologize for the severe lack of process pictures lately. I've been getting caught up in the baking and realize at the end that I haven't taken any. Anyway, there's nothing tricky or odd about these so there's really no need for extra pictures.
3-4 Granny Smith apples
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup apple cider
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
4 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons cider
3 1/2-4 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 ounces individually wrapped caramels, unwrapped
- Heat oven to 350. Line 24 mini cupcake or 12 regular cupcake tins.
- Rinse and core apples. Bake 30-40 minutes or until soft. Peel and puree.
- Sift together flour, sugar, spices, baking soda, and salt.
- Slightly beat eggs. Add oil, cider, vanilla, and one cup of pureed apple. Stir to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Mix only until combined; do not over mix.
- Fill liners 2/3 full. Bake mini cupcakes 12-14 minutes, regular cupcakes 18-20 minutes.
- Melt butter in small saucepan. Add sugar and milk and cook on low until sugar dissolves. Stir in cider.
- In a stand mixer on low mix butter mixture and sugar until combined. Turn to medium-high and beat until full. Frosting may be a little loose, even with the sugar, so chill for a few minutes if necessary.
- Combine milk and caramels in saucepan. Cook on low until smooth. Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes. Drizzle over iced cupcakes.
This recipe was adapted from Caramel Appletini Cupcakes.