Tuesday, August 26, 2008

S'Mores Cheesecake


I meet with a group of former colleagues each Tuesday for coffee and I've volunteered to bring treats.  It gives me a chance to make a dent in the 14,117 "to try" recipes I have sitting in various places around my house and they seem to appreciate it.  Well, this week it was canceled but only after I had made this weeks' treat: S'Mores Cheesecake.  So here I am with a whole cheesecake just waiting to be eaten.  

It's very tasty, if not a tad sweet.  I like the marshmallow topping but that's really where a big chunk of the sweetness is coming in so I may reduce the amount by half or so next time around.  And all though it's a very tasty topping I'm sure jarred Fluff would do if you don't want to make it yourself.  

Make sure you make the cheesecake portion the night before you need it so you can properly chill it overnight.

Enjoy!

Crust
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons melted butter

Filling
9 ounces milk chocolate (I had to use chips but it worked fine)
16 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup whipping cream
3 eggs

Topping
1 cup sugar
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
12 large or 120 mini marshmallows (if using large, cut into quarters)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

For crust:
  • Preheat oven to 350.
  • Stir all ingredients together and press into a parchment lined springform pan.  I used my square one for no other reason than that I like it.
  • Bake 12 minutes. Cool.
For filling:
  • Melt chocolate in a double boiler.  Cool to lukewarm.
  • Blend cream cheese, sugar, and salt until smooth.  Make sure not to go crazy here.  Over beating can cause a cheesecake to crack.  More on that later...
  • Add whipping cream and mix until incorporated.
  • Add melted chocolate then eggs one at a time.  
  • Pour over crust
  • Bake at 350 for 15 minutes then reduce oven to 200 and continue baking for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes.  Now, to that cracking issue.  I never, ever, ever crack cheesecakes. Well, except for that one time 5 years ago in a weird oven and the two other times that I've not listened to myself.   But seriously, no other time.  I don't use water baths or anything else "fancy" other than the above method - long, low heat.  I seriously think this is what helps me not crack them.  Any time I've used another method, they've cracked.  Just like this one did.  So, I'm altering the directions to my method.  And I'm never following any other baking directions for a cheesecake again.  Seriously.  
  • Once done (check for a wiggle by shaking the pan.  It shouldn't be set at this point, the center should shimmy nicely), turn off oven, crack the door and leave the cheesecake in until the oven is cool, about an hour or so.  
  • Remove and place in refrigerator overnight.  

For topping:
  • Whisk sugar, egg whites, water, cream of tartar, and salt in a large metal bowl.  Set over saucepan of simmering water and whisk constantly until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
  • Remove from over water (but keep water simmering) and stir in marshmallows.  Let them sit and soften for about 3 minutes.  Return over water and beat until shiny medium-stiff peaks form.  Beat in vanilla.
  • Place on cheesecake.  Let stand until set, about 15 minutes.
  • Either use a torch to singe the top or a broiler for about 3 minutes.  

I varied the recipe I found in the July 2008 Bon Appetit.

7 comments:

Kristi said...

That sounds amazing. It will be the first thing I try when I give up on this whole no sweets thing!

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

This looks so delicious! I am sure you won't have trouble giving away the leftovers.

Jo Tan said...

looks sooooooo yummy!!!

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, man! Will you be my best friend?!! I love all things S'mores! (& snickerdoodle, FYI! LOL!) I have already printed out the recipe and will DEFINITELY be making this. I thought it would be the red velvet cake but that's gonna have to wait! Thanks so much for the recipe!
~ingrid

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Made this! It was very good but I will change a few things. First, I used 4 oz semisweet chocolate & 5oz of bittersweet instead of 9 oz of milk. Next time I'll do 6 or 7oz of semi & only 2 or 3 of the bittersweet. (My kids aren't fans of really dark chocolate) Because I used a 9x9 inch springform pan and had to make a bit more crust but after tasting it I'd like a thicker one to get more of the graham cracker flavor and I wouldn't prebake it quite so long. I also sprinkled graham cracker pieces on top of individual servings.

I used your low & slow method it but it was done within 45 minutes & probably should have come out a few minutes sooner as it didn't "shimmy" at all. I have and use an oven thermometer so I'm not certain what happened there but I didn't have any cracks so all turned out well.

With all that said and done everyone really liked it! Thanks again for sharing the recipe!
~ingrid

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Very very nice!!

:D

AMI said...

Oh MY GOD - this i have to eat!