Thursday, September 11, 2008

THE Brownies



That's it, the search is over.  I have found THE BEST BROWNIES EVER.  That's right, EVER.  I have been searching for years for the perfect fudgy, thick, chocolaty brownies and these are it.  They are phenomenal.  After finishing the last one today at lunch my husband said after dinner "You know, if feels kind of empty without the brownies here".  That's how good they are.  

The recipe calls for Dutch cocoa, which I was out of and the grocery store nearby doesn't have, so I used Hershey's and it was still fine.  I'm making a run to Whole Foods this week to pick up the Dutch cocoa as well as some Schaffen Berger chocolate.  I figure it can only make them better!

Enjoy!

Deep Chocolate Brownies

2 sticks of unsalted butter
8 oz bittersweet chocolate
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 eggs
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa 
1/2 teaspoon salt

  • Preheat oven to 350.  Line a 13x9 inch pan with parchment.
  • Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler until smooth.  Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm.
  • Whisk in eggs one at a time until glossy and smooth.
  • In a separate bowl whisk together flour, cocoa, and salt.  Whisk into chocolate mixture.
  • Spread in pan and bake until center comes out with crumbs, 25-35 minutes.  I like my brownies on the undercooked side so I stopped right at 25.  

My son and sous chef also enjoyed them!


I found this recipe in Gourmet.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

These look so yummy! I'll have to try these!

Anonymous said...

Yours look good too! Isn't it funny that brownies might actually be TOO chocolaty? These were perfect as is, but like you said, anything over 60% would have been over the top.

Anonymous said...

I have got to try those. Nothing with Schaffen Berger chocolate is ever bad.

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Your brownies look great! I recently found an awesome store that is a foodie's paradise. Can't wait for a Trader's Joe to come into the area. We do have a Whole Food market but it's not that close.

Btw, the way you have terrific blog! I've been reading through some of your past posts.
~ingrid