First, I must apologize to my 3 faithful readers. I have been gone too long. I have been baking, but have managed to forget to take pictures of the final product. I've also been working on a side project. My friends on my on-line mom's group have helped me start up a cookie business of sorts. So I've been busy making about 1,117 thousand cookies for trials and pictures. Take a look! Sugar on Top orders.
Anyway, these cupcakes I made for my coffee meet-up, which is where most of my baked goods end up. They get treats, I get free coffee. Win-win. They're a nice, moist cupcake with a cinnamon icing that has a nice kick to it. And they go wonderfully with coffee!
I halved this recipe and got 9 perfect cupcakes out. I accidently kept the icing recipe full scale, but it's a good thing because I used it all on those 9. If I had made the full cupcake recipe I would have had some pretty skimpily frosted cakes!
Chocolate Cinnamon Cupcakes
1 1/2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
3/4 cup hot brewed coffee
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Heavy 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
Heavy 1/2 teaspoon salt
Heavy 1/4 cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
Heavy 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 300. Line cupcake pan.
- Put chocolate in hot coffee, stirring occasionally, until fully melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In bowl of electric mixer beat the eggs until slightly thickened and a light color.
- Slowly add oil, buttermilk, and vanilla to eggs. Then add melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Pour into liner about 3/4 of the way full and bake for about 35 minutes.
Cinnamon Buttercream Icing
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups powdered sugar
- Beat butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add sugar and cinnamon. Beat on high for about 5 minutes.
This recipe was slightly adapted from Ice Cream Before Dinner