Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Pumpkin Ginger Cupcakes



I can't believe how behind I am with my blogging!  I swear, I have been baking and (occasionally taking pictures!) but just haven't been able to find 10 seconds to get it written down.  I hope no one has forgotten about me.  :)

I made these cupcakes for a Halloween party (yes, it was that long ago!) but they're great for any fall baking event.  Not too gingery, great flavor, and perfect as mini bite-sized cupcakes.  When I make them I occasionally do a spider web design on the top using concentric circles and a toothpick to drag through them, but this time I decided to go plain.  

Enjoy!

Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 stick butter, melted and cooled
1 cup sugar
1 cup canned pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

Frosting
1 stick butter
6 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 scant teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 teaspoons milk 

For cupcakes
  • Preheat oven to 325.  Line muffin tins with liners or spray with Pam.
  • Sift together flour, baking soda and powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
  • Using paddle attachment beat melted butter, sugar, and pumpkin until smooth.  Mix in eggs.  On low speed add flour mixture and mix until just incorporated.
  • Fill each liner about 1/2-3/4 full.  Bake about 25 minutes.  For mini cupcakes bake about 19 minutes.  Cool in pan 10 minutes and then remove.
For frosting
  • Beat butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth.  Add sugar and beat about 1 minute on medium speed after incorporated.  If you want to do spider webs, reserve 1/4 cup of frosting.  Stir in cinnamon and add enough milk to make it pourable but still thick. 
  • Frost cupcakes.  If doing a spider web, frost the white icing smooth.  Pipe 3-4 concentric circles of cinnamon icing on top.  Starting in center, drag a toothpick outwards through the circles in 5 places, equally spaced.

Recipe from Cupcakes!

No comments: